Acupuncture for Pregnancy in London, Bexley and Chislehurst
Acupuncture offers women the choice of drug free treatment and can be successfully used for the treatment of a wide range of conditions:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Varicose veins
- Urinary tract infections
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Anxiety and depression
- Thrush and abnormal vaginal discharge
- Itching in pregnancy
- Pregnancy-induced hypertension
- Small for dates babies
- Breech and posterior positioned babies
- Pre-Birth treatment to prepare the body for an efficient labour (see below)
- Acupressure for pain relief during labour
- Pain relief and problems during labour
- Postpartum recovery
This is a series of 4 weekly treatments from week 36 to prepare for labour. Points are used according to a woman's constitution and pregnancy history and include points to ripen the cervix, to help position the baby in the best position, and to promote optimal energy and stamina for women to enter into labour.
The protocols used in this treatment are based on the practice and experience of a number of midwives and acupuncturists based in New Zealand who performed a study on 169 women. They found that when comparing all of the pregnant women's caregivers (midwives, GP's, consultants, etc) to those who had received pre-birth acupuncture there was:
- A 35% reduction in the number of inductions (for women having their first baby this was a 43% reduction)
- A 31% reduction in the epidural rate
When comparing midwifery only care to women receiving pre-birth acupuncture there was a:
- 32% reduction in emergency caesarean delivery
- A 9% increase in normal vaginal births
- There was no difference in the onset of early labour in those women receiving pre-birth acupuncture
Breech babies are ideally treated between 34 - 36 weeks gestation with moxibustion. This is often a one off treatment with women given instructions and being shown how to continue treatment at home with a moxa stick (a herb that has been shaped into a cigar like stick). The moxa stick is lit and held over specific points on the feet for 20 minutes each day for 10 days or until the baby has turned.
"It worked! My contractions began 6 hours later and my baby arrived within 12 hours of the treatment. Amazing, thank you so much!"
R, East Dulwich
"I saw you a couple of weeks ago with my overdue pregnancy. Just thought I would let you know that I went into labour the day before my sweep was booked for. My labour was a lot quicker than the first, and I feel a LOT better now than I did after my first! Everyone said how well rested I looked after your treatment, and more energised, and I certainly felt a lot more energised too - so thank you."